Makes about 10 cookies
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 flax egg (1/2 tbsp ground flax + 1.5 tbsp warm water)
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine or coconut oil
- Cinnamon sugar: 1 tbsp sugar + 1 tsp cinnamon, mixed together
- In a small bowl, mix the 1/2 flax egg. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl cream the sugar, vegan margarine, and vanilla until incorporated.
- Add in the flax egg and beat for about 60 seconds.
- In another bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (cream of tartar, baking soda, flour, and pinch of cinnamon).
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir well.
- Use your hands to knead together the dough. Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, preheat the oven to 375F and take about 1.5 tbsp of dough and shape into a ball.
- Roll in cinnamon sugar and then press the ball with a fork to flatten slightly. Repeat 9 more times to make 10 cookies.
Bake for 10-12 minutes. (If you want chewy cookies bake for 10 minutes and if you want crispy cookies bake for 12 minutes.) Cool for about 10 minutes.